Sunday, April 26, 2009

Enemies

How do I know that I'm there? A soldier on the front lines, gun pointed at the enemy. I'm ready to fire, on the signal I'm giving all I've got. There seems no point in holding back any longer, that's what the dead did...they waited.

Is it just me, or do the clouds look like mountains? White fluffy mountains. It must be that I'm disillusioned, it must be. As far as I can see, no one is near. To my left and right are my comrades, not enemies. Enemies are the ones that shoot at you, point the gun in your face, shoot you down, tell you that you're not good enough, promise you things that never get fulfilled, slam the door at your face, beat you to a pulp. These are the enemies. I have no enemies here, its just me and a few others. My brothers, my family. We had been together through countless battles. We don't have the same skin color, our backgrounds could not be any more different. But we are family nonetheless, and we seek to kill the enemy.

My eyes water under the heat. We are still, waiting for the enemy to arrive. We are lying on the sand dune, where they can't see us. There they are! The older ones have been creeping up to us from behind the monkey bars all along! More are coming from the slides. They have spotted us! We are doomed. I watch helplessly as they pace towards us with their machine guns and snipers. I can't cry, I must be brave. An invisible force pulled me up, carrying me away. "Time to go home honey." It is my mother. I dropped my gun in defeat as she carries me home to safety... where when i grow up, enemies lurk.